Whether we do so intentionally or not, we present ourselves to the world with our faces. Patients may opt for facial plastic surgery to improve their appearance. This may be in the case of a birth defect, aging, injury to the face, sun damage, or just the desire to make a cosmetic adjustment for increased self-confidence. Fat grafting is a method of facial plastic surgery that may prove beneficial for various skin concerns.
Dr. Jason Swerdloff is our Board-Certified facial plastic surgeon at Bay Dermatology in Tampa. As an expert in the field of facial plastic surgery, we’re proud to offer his services to our patients.
What is Fat Transfer?
Fat transfer is a cosmetic procedure that may be used on areas throughout the body, including the face. It involves taking a small portion of fat from one area, such as the thigh or lower abdomen, purifying it, then injecting it into areas of the face to restore volume. It’s typically performed under general anesthesia or a local anesthetic.
With age, the skin loses volume, which can lead to wrinkles, fine lines, and hollowed out areas in the skin. The skin may also experience lost volume and hollows due to scarring. Fat transfer is one method for restoring lost volume in the skin by replacing it with fat from another area of the body. Areas of the face that may be improved with fat transfer include:
- Around the mouth
- Around the eyes, namely the lower lids
Benefits of Facial Plastic Surgery and Fat Transfer
Facial plastic surgery may benefit patients with skin concerns by:
- Reconstructing areas of the face that have been damaged or are impacted by birth defects
- Improve the appearance of the facial features with cosmetic adjustments
- Correct signs of skin aging such as wrinkles, fine lines, and sagging
- Improve healing of scars and sun damage
Fat transfer can provide a range of benefits for the appearance of the face, including:
- Restore volume to areas of the face that have become wrinkled or thin due to aging
- Create the look of high cheekbones by increasing volume in the cheeks
- Create an even, smooth complexion
- Lessen the appearance of scars
Fat transfer is one of many facial plastic surgery procedures performed by Dr. Swerdloff at Bay Dermatology in Tampa. If you’re interested in facial plastic surgery to address a cosmetic concern, contact us today to schedule an appointment.